Saturday, December 23, 2017

First Aussie Annie

*Pours glass of wine*

It's only appropriate the title of this initial post from Down Under is abbreviated, as are many words in the Aussie vernacular. Brekky (breakfast). Chrissy (Christmas). Woolys (Woolworths). Hence, my one month ''annie.''

It's been strange to go from Nashville's bare trees and cold Autumn weather to Sydney's hot, humid summer, which reminds me of Tennessee in August, but with an ocean breeze. And, like Music City, there are even beautiful thunderstorms that surprise the blue skies. I'd like to say I feel right at home, though home is 9,200 miles, or 14,800 kilometers, away.


Sydney welcomed me with endless cafes and vibrant purple trees. My very first sights of the Oprah House and Harbour Bridge hit me in the face, like a twitch before falling asleep. They instantly awakened me. Prior to that, they were merely structures I had only witnessed in photos, and here they were, within walking distance. Magnificent.


Since, my dear friends have introduced me to their circles. I've experienced the most beautiful wedding in the Hunter Valley (congratulations Chandlers!!); some phenomenal Aussie wines, including my new favorite: Semillon; randomly ended up at the cutest AirBnB on a farm that produces honey (in fact, the owner purchased three queen bees that very day, for $90 AUD); and, I saw my first kangaroo in between some grapevines. Much to my dismay, the roo did not hop as I had envisioned, but lethargically swung from tail to feet. Still a spectacular sight.


That same week, I joined three sweet friends on a trip to Queensland. First stop: Port Douglas. We flew to Cairns, rented a car, and drove up the picturesque coast toward the Great Barrier Reef. Of course, we stopped along the way to witness a large crocodile eat an entire chicken in one bite at Hartley's Crocodile Adventures.


And adoringly watched koalas nap in the trees. No, eucalyptus does not put them to sleep, but the travel eventually caught up to us.


We ended the day napping ourselves on perhaps the one beach that does not use the metric system in Australia: the Four-Mile Beach. I guess it sounds better than the 6.437 kilometer beach...


Three full days of adventure commenced, which included driving on the left side of the road. I know better than to attempt that. The backseat suited me well! We hiked the Upper Daintree Rainforest; ran from a huge black snake; bushwalked around Mossman Gorge; and lastly snorkeled the Great Barrier Reef, with my sinus infection was so far from my mind as I entered this new world.


It is rightfully one of the wonders of this beautiful world. It was vibrant. So alive. And, even though we were 90 miles from shore, the reef sits just below the surface. It's so shallow in some areas that you can't even swim over it. Still, navigating around the towers of beautiful coral created underwater tunnels and caves that were home to sea turtles, parrot fish, sting rays, sharks and little Nemos. It was truly breathtaking to the point that I continued to swallow that precious sea water.


And so now, I reluctantly count down the next 11 months, as I promise to embrace all of the annies, brekkies, Chrissies and let's be real... the Aussies too.

1 comment:

  1. I’m so happy you’re doing this!!! LOVE them & look forward to your next adventure. Miss you sister but enjoy all the Aussies!

    ReplyDelete